Friday, September 21, 2007

Defeat! Defeat! Defeat!

Much like appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it seems that having your team's mascot or logo pictured in my blog carries a jinx. How else to explain the heartwrenching losses suffered by the Gophers, Hawkeyes, and Vikings last week? So this time around, we're going to try it without pictures. But first a few concluding thoughts about last week:

Since he is still getting paid, maybe the Gophers could get Glen Mason to coach the first half of the game and Brewster the second? That team would win every game by 42 points.

Clearly the Hawkeyes are not the best college football team in Iowa (and haven't been for 7 out of the last 10 years). At least they are the most loved college football team in Iowa. Are the Gophers the best college football team in Minnesota?

It's either the scheme or the players, but the Vikings offensive line continues to underperform (at least on a per salary basis). I realize the quarterback is a lot closer to the defense when only taking three step drops, but no quarterback seems to have less time and less room to throw than T-Jack. That still doesn't excuse the inaccurate throws when he does have time, though. Game management and decision-making can be learned, can accuracy?

Fortunately, these disappointments have been offset by the fact that Dad and I are 2-0 in fantasy football this year. Thanks to Edgerrin James and various Indianapolis Colts, we have been able to overcome two very subpar performances from LT. We expect LT to break out this week, however, and lead us to another victory for the winningest regular season team in Skippy Fantasy League history.

As for the Gophers, Hawkeyes, and Vikings, my predictions are as follows:

Gophers 24 Purdue 52
Hawkeyes 16 Wisconsin 19
Vikings (Defense) 21 Kansas City 6

At least Tiger is still number one. Some things a sports fan can rely on.

Now on to non-football related items. Over the past week I have learned (with Dad's help) how to walk up and down stairs (sort of) -- and boy do I look for any opportunity to practice. I'm eating more and different things (including dog food when Mom and Dad aren't looking). Of course, having a few new teeth helps (especially for the dog food). I've been sleeping in a bit later, which Mom and Dad seem to like. I've also learned that if I throw up at daycare, I get to go home and spend the rest of the day with Mom or the grandparents, which seems to me like a no-lose situation.

Last Friday, Mom and Dad took me for a run in my new baby jogger. I liked it; although, 5 miles may have been just a little too long for me. Dad continues to train to do a triathlon next summer; although, that is still along way off and I'll believe it when I see it. Mom works hard at the office and at home, and I try to help her out by putting things in the refrigerator or under the kitchen sink. Of course, it would probably be more help if they were things that actually belonged in the refrigerator or under the sink.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I just discovered the joy of unrolling toilet paper. I don't know what to do with it once I have it all on the floor -- I'm still working on that part. I'm open to suggestions.

1 comment:

GrandmaKathy said...

Nick,
Now that you have mastered the toilet paper roll, you might try pulling the tissues out of the Kleenex box. Have fun. I love you. Grandma Kathy